Instagram

Tuesday 26 May 2009

vintage Enid Gilchrist styles and a vintage apron remake

I was recently introduced to Enid Gilchrist vintage patterns which you draft yourself from instructions and diagrams. Enid had many patterns published privately and through the New Idea magazine in Australia.
I thought the drafting would be a little tricky and it was! But I actually enjoyed it a lot. It reminded me of the old dot to dots that I used to love to do as a child lol.
Here are a few things I have sewn the past week. I drafted this pini into a bigger size for an order. I am glad I have another size now as I love it. Now I need to resize it smaller so it will fit MY DD lol. She has claimed the first one I made but it is a bit big as the original pattern for the Enid pini is technically 4-5yo and she is not quite 2yo.
Here is a 4-5 (which I think would be fine for a 3-5yo) and the new 5+ size. I tried this on my DD10 and was surprised that not only did it go over her head, she was able to put it on and it still looked cute on her, though quite short. I am very tempted to make this up as a full length dress, and one for DD10 too. My DS3 and 6yo also tried it on for me and it sat nicely. It is a good design as the way the arm holes are cut out, it allows plenty of room but maintains a slim line without looking too gapey or baggy.

The smaller size is in the front.












































The circus print is quilting cotton with red and white gingham. 3-5yo






















This used to be a regular vintage apron which I restyled so it can be worn as a full pini with a rear and front bodice, a tie at the back of the neck and waist. It would have been nice to have closed the skirt at the back but there isn't enough fullness and only the tiniest of scraps left. I used some new cotton lace and vintage ricrac for trim. The pocket is the original apron pocket left in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment