Instagram

Sunday 8 August 2010

Egg drought and a secret cache! Mince and sausages.

I thought my ISAs had stopped laying as all of a sudden, there was only 1 brown egg from them per day. The other hens were laying fine, though having been sick this week I hadn't a chance to really keep tabs on what was coming in. I thought maybe it was the feed as I had switched to a local farmers formulation.I was worried they were unwell too. I had planned to lock them in last night to see if they were laying elsewhere but got home late and I forgot.
Today I heard a cackle from the carport. I went out there and couldn't see a chook but the bale of straw stored there had been pulled around with lots spilling down onto the concrete.
Hmm... I wonder...

And there was the secret cache of 21 EGGS! Plus at least one broken, though there were no shells visible (bit of a worry). The chicky babes had been holding out on me!

I had been so careful with the eggs the last week with the egg drought but now we have a glut lol. Lucky it has been so cold and they are all good still. 
 I have my eye on a new shiny kitchen gadget. A stainless steel mincer from Gaganis.

They have a range of sausage attachments. 
I am imagining really yummy gourmet sausage sizzles this coming Summer without all the nasties usually found in your average supermarket snag. I'm still in the thinking/research/comparison stage though. I think I would prefer stainless steel rather than one of the rough cast zinc plated or aluminium models.
If you have any mincer recommendations and good sausage links or recipes I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment