Instagram

Sunday 5 September 2010

Father's Day Latkes and a flood!

Father's Day started with bacon, fresh laid eggs and homemade waffles. Beccy managed to stagger out of bed to make it after a late night. She wasn't so happy from the rather early enthusiastic promptings by her eager young siblings to get up and make it but she done good!.

For lunch, another course of rib sticking fried tastiness in the way of Potato Latkes. I used my new spiral potato shredder for the potatoes (with their skins left on). As well as onion, chopped bacon, eggs, flour and milk, to make a batter.

They were fried in what some would think as the evil incarnate of the fat world. Rendered beef fat. This was the fat I ground up and rendered myself a few weeks ago.

They were delicious and reminiscent of my childhood and the time before Canola Oil. They reminded me in particular of brain fritters. I had one latke that was just a bit gooey in the middle. It reminded me of creamy lambs brains. The batter was so crispy perfect on the outside. I can see that lamb's brain fritters would not be anything as good fried in vegetable oil.

We have had a wonderful week of rain. It has shown how badly our backyard is drained. I definitely need to finish those raised garden beds! I caught sarah about to go out and play in the water with a bunch of dinosaurs! Lucky the Nieces and Nephews are interstate today adn won't be here tonight for dinner as usual or they would be out in it for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Just letting you know that I nominated you for an award over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete